top of page

A Dollhouse For Our Maileg: Part 2 - Exterior Paint and Roofing

Updated: Sep 2, 2022

Exterior Paint

As much fun as doing demo always is, I was so excited to get started on the transformation. I started with the exterior and continued to use spray paint as much as possible. I used white paint on the wrap-around porch, under the eaves, and the ceilings in all of the rooms.

However, after looking at it for a couple of hours, I decided it was too stark and that in the long term we would be happier with an off-white instead ... so I repainted it (does this feel like foreshadowing?). For round two, I used Rust-Oleum's Heirloom White spray paint in satin. I absolutely loved how the color turned out.


If I had to do it over, I would not use spray paint. When I was starting the painting process I was more focused on the ease of painting the small spaces, porch railing, posts, and columns. What I had not thought about was that the paint would be impossible to match for touch-ups. This was a total nightmare as I progressed. I had Home Depot attempt to match it with their very fancy color matching software and it was a giant fail both times.


I knew I wanted to have a cedar shake roof, and if there was a gap anywhere in the roofing, I wanted it to look like tar paper underneath the shingles. I used Behr Marquee Black in satin. I purchase an 8-ounce sample size and it was more than enough to paint the roof.


I really debated on the exterior color of the dollhouse. I initially was going to match the dark petrol color that Maileg often uses in their designs, and even bought the paint, but then decided it was simply too dark. I eventually landed on Glidden's Aquamarine Dream in satin; it coordinates so well with Maileg accessories and I am absolutely thrilled. I mean ... swoon!!!

Roofing

Next came the roof and I honestly may be the most excited about this. I think that a shake shingle roof will bring such a wow factor. I found an awesome deal on real cedar shingles from Factory Direct Craft. They have several different shapes available, but I decided to go with the classic square shingles to achieve a Craftsman style. I bought six bags of a thousand individual shingles, which ended up being far more than I needed. I did not love the color when they arrived as they are come unfinished, feeling like they were a little too light, so I used two different Minwax stain colors for a variegated look. I didn't want it to be too red, so I chose Special Walnut 224 and Early American 230. A little stain goes a long way and the 8-ounce size was more than enough.


To stain the shingles, we tossed a bunch into a ziplock bag, poured stain in, double-check the bag is sealed (hint: don't skip this step), and rolled the shingles around for about 2-3 minutes (longer if you want darker). I then cut one bottom corner off the baggie and poured the stain back into the can. I spread the shingles into a cardboard box to dry. I didn't spread them out too much so that various parts and corners of the shingles would end up darker than others from laying on each other.


There was a lot of discussion with Nick as to what adhesive and process to use for installation. We thought that using a tile-laying installation process might work best. I used a small v-notch trowel and liquid nails to start with. What I didn't realize was the liquid nails doesn't dry clear. AARRRGGG! I ended up with clumps of white glue everywhere.

Thankfully I realized this after only shingling one half of one side of the dollhouse. So from there on out, I switched to Loctite Power-Grab Clear Adhesive. It worked wonderfully and I would highly recommend it. I originally was going to draw lines up the side of the roof to make sure that my lines stayed level, but quickly discovered they got covered with glue and I couldn't see them. What did work brilliantly was using a square on each side of the roof and moving the shingles after placing each row.


For the roofline gable, I used these miter shears to cut the shingles. The shears would come in handy throughout the process on the interior trim work as well, and I was so grateful for them.

I then had to make some really hard decisions: paint colors, wallpapers, flooring, and what else to use in the various rooms ... continued in Part 3: Interior Paint, Flooring, and Design.


Tools


Supplies

Minwax Early American Stain

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment


If you have any issue with your roof and want instant help, always contact roof repair margate experts because they arrive at your location and eliminate the issue permanently at a reasonable cost.

Like
bottom of page